As I am making the Valentines for Savannah's class party, it made me think about how much has changed since I was a kid. I remember that we had to make a Valentine box from a shoe box and decorate it all up. I loved doing this. My mom got the little paper heart doilies and we used construction paper and glitter. Then we had our box of valentines. We got a class list and got to write everyone's name on the envelops. I got to pick through my valentines to give out and decide which one I liked the best so I wanted my best friends to have, which ones looked more like boy ones to give to the boys. On Valentines Day we would go around the room and pass out the valentines. It was a ton of fun. If I had valentines for people not in my class then that night we would bring them over to their house. We would sneak up to the door set the valentines on the porch, ring the bell and RUN!! I think this is only something maybe done in Utah or at least in the sticks where I grew up, because I am finding out that others don't do this. But it was great if you wanted to give a valentine to someone you 'liked' then you can say from your secret admirer and they wouldn't know who it was.
I can tell how things have changed since with Savannah's party, they don't get to address the valentines. Just a note that went home saying they need 23 valentines and no names on the envelops. They will have bags at class and just go down the line putting valentines in. What a bummer. We decided to make valentines this year. We had lots of fun cutting/pasting & adding glitter. I figure it would save some costs. All we needed was a sucker. I got the template from
Skip to My Lou (love this site)

I made some of these for my YW too since Valentines Day is on a Sunday. Hope you get some special treatment from your Valentine this year. If you happen to hear your doorbell ring and no one is there, but sure to look down to see your treats!
BTW: Am I the only one who does Valentine Ditching?
9 comments:
I totally remember the same thing!! Semanee does get to do a shoe box and names....must be your teacher or school:( Sem, wants Savannah to come play some time.
Well maybe it was just us. i am totally doing it this year DING DONG!!! HELLO????
Is the pic really your Valentines?? Too cute and what did you use- stamps? Love em'! I also miss the way it used to be for Valentine's. Hannah's class is skipping out totally and having a bug party instead since that's what they're learning about this quarter. Total bummer.
I remember it that way, too!
Very cute cards you made.
Mine look almost the same. We did little hearts in the corners and thats all. Plus added a little bit of glitter. You can download a pdf from skip to my lou and it has the butterfly with the writing already on it. I just used her picture from her site since I was too lazy to take one with my camera and upload it.
That is how we used to do valentines too! Maybe it is a Utah thing but I loved it!
I loved Valentine's growing up...we had so much fun in school!! Your kids Valentine's look so cute.....fun idea!!
No, you're not the only one! We left valentines on the doorstep and ran away when I was a kid too! I did live in Utah, so it must be a Utah thing.
Bummer that the valentine ritual at school is so generic. :( You made up for it by making your own cute valentines with Savannah. Those are so cute!
Skyler couldn't address her valentine's in kindergarten or 1st grade. The reason is that some kids can't read other kids names, so it is easier for the teachers. She did however, get to address them this year, so that was fun!
Post a Comment