Friday, April 8, 2011

Phoenix Temple


I was so excited to hear that work is starting on the Phx temple, seeing the picture of all the dirt being moved around made me do a little happy dance inside, until I read through the article and read the posts that followed on azcentral. I am appalled at the rude and hurtful things that people are saying. I guess I have never had such opposition in my face before, and it's not like they are in front of me saying it. I cannot believe the things people are writing and how much hate is behind their words against those that belong to the LDS church. I have tears streaming down my face and honestly feel like I want to vomit. How can people be so cruel? They bring up all these negative things that a few members have done. What about the Baseline Killer what was his religion or the guy who shot a kid not too long ago, huh? When is never a mention of what their faith was? Why do you not take their religion and run it through the gutter. There are people of every faith that sometimes do wild, weird, crazy and sometimes scary things. Everyone still has their agency to make choices on how to live their life. Does knowing their faith make the crimes more heinous? No, I don't think so.

We are a faith who has endured so much and turn the other cheek. We seem to be always be under constant fire of opposition, why? (Although deep down I do know why) I have no idea why this is hitting me so hard today. Having a temple only a few short miles from my home will bring countless blessings to not only my home and family but all those surrounding it. I cannot wait until that day! I look forward to the open house where I can bring my daughters in and also my non-member friends so they can experience its beauty and to know a little about what we do inside making them so sacred. It will be a beacon of beauty to this area.

I am proud to stand and say, that yes I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I know this makes me a little peculiar in the eyes of the world and I'm okay with this. I know that as the opposition is trying to pull us down and drag us in the mud, it will only make me stronger.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes reading that garbage can bring you down, but others times it can inspire a greater testimony. Just be sure when you read those nasty comments you are in the correct frame of mind to be able to handle them.
It does stink that our faith is so brutally attacked but I don't see that changing in our lifetime.. Unfortunately.

Carla said...

Thank you for your words today Kristine. I too have been very upset after reading the article in the paper today. I know that the neighborhood will be very proud of the temple once it is completed and they see how peaceful, beautiful and well kept it is. But until then, I expect a lot of opposition. The sad thing is having my kids endure it as well!